Sunday, May 02, 2010

Well, here I am again. If you had asked me three months ago what I would be doing and where would I be, the answer would have been simple: getting up and getting ready to take my new daughters to church for the third Sunday in our own home church, but God's plan has been different from that. I am not sure as to why. Maybe to teach me some things? I know I have learned many lessons during my time here.

At the church we have been attaining here (thank you Vicky and Vernon for recommending it to us!) we had a guest preacher today from Indiana; and he taught on: How is GOD leading you? He read from Mark 6:45-56: ‘Immediately Jesus made his disciples get into the boat and go on ahead of him to Bethesda, while he dismissed the crowd. After leaving them, he went up on a mountainside to pray. When evening came, the boat was in the middle of the lake, and he was alone on land. He saw the disciples straining at the oars, because the wind was against them. About the fourth watch of the night he went out to them, walking on the lake. He was about to pass by them, but when they saw him walking on the lake, they thought he was a ghost. They cried out, because they all saw him and were terrified. Immediately he spoke to them and said, "Take courage! It is I. Don't be afraid." Then he climbed into the boat with them, and the wind died down. They were completely amazed, for they had not understood about the loaves; their hearts were hardened.’ (NIV)

What I have learned was:
1.) Paul wanted the church to find their spiritual gifts.
2.) We can't be edified without God being Glorified.
3.) The Lord is still leading the same way He lead 2000 plus years ago. His word has not changed, just our hearts toward it.
4.) When we read the Gospels, we need to see ourselves in them.
5.) We need to get in the boat to go to the other side as sometimes we are with the wrong crowd.
6.) We need to feed our souls, not our stomachs.

I feel like there have been times in this Journey we have been on we have came under attack from the devil. When I sit back and think about the attacks, and when they have come, it has been when I was not fully leaning on the Lord to direct our paths. I wanted to help Him out. I cannot do that as His plans are the perfect plans. I have to always remember Jesus is in heaven praying on my behalf, so it will work out. I cannot expect to have a smooth road if I am going to follow Christ. Look at Paul. He went to prison. And Moses… he could not speak well and was asked to lead the Israelites out of Egypt. As well as so many others who came before us. In comparison, my life and trials have been easy. The disciples grew through obedience to God's word. If I knew how this was going to turn into such a long adventure I am not sure I would have signed on for this. I know my mom would not have. I am sure there are times she thinks I am crazy; and in some things I probably am, but this is not one of them. For the most part I have truly enjoyed myself. I do miss some of the comforts of home, but I have a great flat, a store across the street, Internet and phones so I can talk to my family every day. And in the end I will have two beautiful daughters to add to my already great sons. In the midst of the storms of our lives we just have to praise Him, trust Him with everything, and Glorify HIM... But for now in this what I think is a storm in my life I will enjoy what He is showing me and trying to learn as much as I can...

Now I will get off my soap box and give you some fun facts again. The following are some of the things I saw and thought were funny as we sat at the bus stop, and then during the bus ride:

- Three mopeds racing down the street and then one of them popping a wheelie. I have no idea how he didn't fall and kill himself on these roads. I think he must have been the one who won, or maybe he lost and wanted to show off.

- I am amazed at how many stray cats and dogs there are in this city. I have learned there is no animal control here, but that it is illegal to kill them. So now at the flat we are almost overrun with kittens. When we first arrived here there were around twenty-five stray cats. Now we have SEVENTY-FIVE TO ONE HUNDRED kittens and, for now, about FIFTEEN dogs. I am sure that will dramatically increase because the dogs are having a “great spring”, which makes for some funny talks with Alyona!!

- Saturday was the first of May; and everyone apparently received the memo that spring was here. When we had gone to the market on Wednesday they were still selling winter clothes; and you could not find a short sleeve shirt anywhere. Now, if you need a long sleeve anything you are out of luck. And I have seen more swimsuits. Which comes to something else I learned; and I am glad Tim won't be going to the beach here. It is now legal for women to go topless and men nude!

- Painting, painting, painting everywhere. It seems like the city is coming to life. Everything that is metal gets new paint. When we first got here it was very dull and dirty, but not as much now. I just wish the daily street cleanings would work on the dirt! All they do is wet it and make mud for a short time. Then it dries.

- We came across a sign which very much describes this town: “Kobbos + Charcoal = Beer party”. This weekend they celebrated May Day, which means most of the town shuts down and holds parties everywhere. Which may be why there seems to be such a curse on this country.

- Then, we were walking down the street talking about the sun; and this guy comes up behind me and beeps his horn. I was not paying any attention, as I was on the sidewalk; and you here horns beeping all the time. Then another beep. This time I look; and it is a guy driving down the sidewalk; and he is mad at me. For some strange reason I thought sidewalks were for pedestrian, but I guess not here.

- As we were walking to the bus we were following these two guys from China. One was about 200 pounds and built really well. The other was about 130 pounds and very skinny. The built guy was wearing these dark purple flip flops. The other one was wearing hot pink ones with flowers glued to the tops of them; and he was smoking, swinging his hiney all over the place. Alyona looks at me and smiles. When they have left us, she looks at me and almost falls on the ground laughing. We have had a few good laughs over this!

I hope y'all have good week. And please remember to pray for us on Wednesday when we are to get the court decree, and then Thursday when we finally get to take Kristina out of the orphanage for good.

Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment