Tuesday, May 11, 2010

We have a new name to get used to. Alyona has requested to go by her middle name, Karen. She came to me the other day and said she wanted to be called Karen, as her new dad is so nice, which meant her grandma would have been nice, so that would be good name. She understands Tim's mom passed away as she has seen a lot death in her old family. Tim had to pray about and talk to his dad and brother as he didn't want to hurt anyone’s feelings. They thought it was okay. She said her old family was not as nice so she wanted to not have her name remind her of them.

Saturday morning we slept in a little. Once we got up, went to the market and bought Kristina new shoes, a hat, new pants and Capri’s. Then we came back and hung around the flat. Oles called and suggested we go out to the catacombs. About an hour later he came and picked us up. We asked a lady here at the flat how to get there. She was very helpful. Unfortunately she had not been there for a while, as there is now a big building where she said to turn. Oles then got out his GPS and we went followed it for a while, but it had no idea how to get there. After asking a few more people, we asked two guys we saw on a moped. Their response was to follow them, so we did; and they knew right where they were going. It was a really neat place. I had read about it on the Internet so even though the tour was in Russian I had half of clue of what she was saying. I am picking up a few words here and there. Although Alyona has told me not to talk it much because I goof things up. I did try to ask someone in a store about some perfume, they responded they did not sell dead chicken feet, but some of it smelled like that!! Everyone there got a good laugh, me too, once I figured out what I had said. Anyway, after that we went for dinner and back to the flat so we could get a showered and dressed all up for a night at the Odessa Opera House.




















It was such a beautiful place. I think the girls really enjoyed it. I sat in between them for the first three acts. Then, I let them sit next to each other. Oles sat behind us; and during the fourth act he whispered the words that were being sung. The performance was in French so none of us understood what was being sung, but they had a display over the top of the stage scrolling the words in Ukrainian, so the people here could read them. We should have done that from the start! Afterward, we went home to bed, or should I say home to watch a movie?

Instead of going to church on Sunday morning, we went to orphanage #88, the first orphanage the girls were in. We were able to help with some crafts; and the girls got to say good bye to some of their old teachers & friends. It was not a good day for Kristina. She is very withdrawn from me. I know once we get home things will get better, but for now it is so hard to see the sadness in her eyes. I want to hug her and tell her it is all going to be okay, but she has no idea of what her new life will be like. I can't even imagine what she has to be thinking. She knows no English, so that makes it even harder for her. We are both depending on Alyona for help, but we can't do that forever. After #88, we took a new bus into downtown. We saw a lot of new places that day. When you think you can't see any more gray you come across a new area. Other than the metal surfaces being painted, everything else is gray or green. No wonder everyone here is seems so unhappy. They have to be depressed. We looked around for a while, walked off some energy, then came back to the flat. The girls watched movies; and I watched church. A nice quiet night in the flat. Well, quiet except for all the Russian speaking going on.

We went back into downtown, Monday, and saw some more sights, then went and had dinner with some friends from church who are here also adopting. It just was nice relaxing day, nothing too exciting. Kristina did make some headway last night with me. She gave me my first kiss without me asking for one, and she let me tuck her into bed. It is good to see GOD working through my prayers for her.

Today, I am waiting for the phone call from Oles saying we will be on the train tonight. That means our passports came in. If not today, then tomorrow. The girls are ready to go to Kiev. Every few minutes today, Alyona says, “We will go to Kiev today? I want to get done. I WANT TO GO TO AMERICA NOW!!!” She is so cute. I was packing up most of our stuff, earlier, so we will be ready; and she tried to help. Her idea of packing and mine are quite different. Mine is to fold and neatly place items into suitcase, as we will have to wear this stuff in Kiev. Hers is to just roll items into a ball and stuff them anywhere. I won though. It is all folded nicely and fits so well. I had been concerned about the weight, but I think we will be okay.

I will post again after we get to Kiev.

Lynn

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lynn! Hope by now you are in Kiev or on the way!!! You are definitely on the short roads now!! Embassy will be easy and I imagine you will find it fun as you will probably meet up w/ other American families! It was like a great big US family reunion when I was there. Happy Days ahead!! If you meet Joy - the last Embassy worker you should see - say "HI from Cindy and Ira" - she was GREAT - from S.C.!!!! You will love her and hearing her southern accent for sure - will make you feel right at home!!! HUGS!!! Talk to you when you get back home!!! C

    ReplyDelete