Friday, May 07, 2010

Thursday was another day of “roller coaster rides”. It sure is a good thing I love them so much! I only slept about two hours Wednesday night, if even that much, so I figured I would sleep in the car going to Kiliya, but that was not to happen. Oles was “a few” minutes late that morning. I don't how he accomplishes all he does on such little sleep. It actually turned out nice that he was running late. It gave me a chance to talk to Tim, in the morning, before we left. Tim said he & Oles had spoken a couple times throughout the evening, which for us would be the middle of the night. So Oles had as much sleep as me. I decided it would be better if I visited with him, which is always fun. Anyway, we had not been to Kiliya in three weeks so it has changed. The trees had all bloomed out; and the mustard seed was at the yellowest I had ever seen. So as we drive along, windows down, enjoying the cool spring breeze, I thought to myself, “The roads sure are in good shape.” We knew they had done some work, but these roads were smooth. That should have been my first clue that something was wrong. We looked at each and said, “Do you remember any of this?” We both answered, “No!” Then another, “No,” came from the back seat came, as if she knew what we were talking about. Thankfully there happens to be two men on the side of the road. Angels I think, as there was nothing anywhere out there. They said we could get to Kiliya by continuing straight, then turning; and we would run into it. At that, Oles got out his GPS; and confirmed they were right. We decided we had missed our turn as everything was now in bloom so it looked different. When we got to Kiliya we were so hungry and knew with the rest of the day we might not get a chance to eat, so we were going to run in to get something somewhere. We walked into a bar looking place and asked if they had food. NO... Oles asked where people could get something to eat. She said, “In your kitchen.” So, we didn’t eat until 3:00pm after we got back to Odessa!!!

We picked up the social worker and went to the orphanage. It would not be long now. We go into the administration office; and Kristina comes in with everything she owns in a shoe box and a small bag. The director talks some and leaves to make a few copies. Then, it was time for my three signatures and she would be ours. Yeah!! She went and found her friends so we could give them the gifts we had for them. We could not bring cake and drinks there as the director wouldn’t allow it. The kids loved the gifts. Then, for what would be the last good bye, there were tears & hugs from everyone. We took some photos; and the kids had to back to class. Oles needed to finish up some things, so we went outside to enjoy the sunshine. Next thing I know the bell rings; and here come all the kids again. So, we do all the hugs and good byes, again, and of course more tears. They then went back to their classes. I got a call to come up stairs, so off we head. We take care of a little business, then go back outside. A few minutes later I get another call to come to the 3rd floor. We finish that, head back down, and the bell rings again. I am not sure how many times we can all do this good bye stuff. Finally, Oles comes out and says, “Let’s go!” So I grab Kristina’s stuff, give a few more hugs and byes, then the girls go walking out hand in hand. This is truly the last time the will ever see this place, unless we possibly come back to do a mission trip.

The ride home was somewhat emotional for Kristina, as she is older; and she understands better what this means. Leaving her friends and the place she has called home for over two years. There is so much uncertainty in her life. I know she has to be scared. Oles translated some things for me. I told her I know most of the time she will not have clue as to what I am saying; and that is okay. I just don't want to be tuned out. I need her to pay me attention so that she can learn. Whenever she is sad and missing her friends she can come and say, “Kiliya.” That would be a key word to know she is having a rough day. I also asked her to always do her best, as I know she is smart. Alyona said she thought the director had called Kristina dumb, so we will have to deal with a low self esteem problem. We definitely will work on that. With being older also comes a lot more baggage. She remembers a lot more than Alyona.

We didn't get lost coming home, which is good as we had lots of things to do. We went to the Notary, the Social Security office, and the Passport office. It went well, and quickly, at all the places. We then went and had McDonald's for Kristina's first time. We had vanilla milkshakes and French fries. At the Social Security office we waited in the car. The next thing we knew, this man comes walking out to the car. Oles got out. After a short conversation, the man went back inside. A few minutes later he came back out with our new, correct paperwork. I was shocked at curbside service. Oles says it pays to know people in high places. When we were in the Passport office we got to see the Director from Balta, so Alyona was glad to be able introduce Kristina. Then, we were all done and headed back to the flat. Some great friends cooked dinner for us. It was great to come home and not have to cook. Oh no!! I just said home. It is definitely time leave this place!

After dinner, and a much needed shower & hair washing, we had a fashion show. Kristina had a great time trying on all of her new clothes. I was shocked for never seeing her before we came, everything I bought actually fit her. She looked so cute. The girls then watched a movie, and talked, and wrestled, and tickled, and laughed. I so wish Papa was here for this. They did get upset when the electric went out and they had to go to bed.

We got up today and took the bus downtown so we could look for shoes for Kristina, but we didn't find any. We will keep looking as we need them for Saturday night. Then, we walked around, went down the big stairs (176 of them!) to the pier. We no longer got to the bottom when Oles called and said he needed us back up the stairs and about six blocks away to get passport pictures taken ASAP! While we waited for them, so we could take them to the passport office, we ran to McDonalds again for lunch. The management of the U.S. stores needs to come here and see how service should be done. Although, here you do pay for napkins, ketchup, straws, everything. After lunch as we were supposed to be heading back to get the pictures, I got myself turned; and we walk about SEVEN blocks the wrong way. Oles calls and says, “Where are you? I’m waiting.” I tell him, “I got us lost. We are walking back to where we started. You will just have to wait for us.” That is good I am not sure I can do another 6 blocks if I got us lost again. Once we do get back to where we started, we discover the office was just up the street and around the corner. I definitely walked off my calories from lunch. After that we went to see the Dolphin show. It was good. Not Sea World quality, but good. All four of us got in for $18.00 U.S.; and it lasted about fifty minutes. We then went to the little amusement park to let Kristina do the bungee jump that Alyona did a couple of weeks ago. She is not nearly the daredevil that Alyona is. Then, I let Oles talk me into bumper cars. He had Kristina; and I got Alyona. Well, ten minutes of going backwards, and being hit, and almost thrown out of the car was enough for me. Thank you, Oles, for the fun memories. Then, we went and purchased our opera tickets for Saturday night, went out to eat, and home for the evening.

It is so good to have both girls with me!!

Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment