Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Tuesday was a very good day. A good day indeed! We went to Balta for Alyona to get to say good bye to her friends at her "gotcha party". Everyone had a good time, I think. They ate lots cake and drank juice. We then handed out goodie bags to everyone. It was so cute. They kept trying to give Alyona and I the candy we had brought for them. These kids truly know what it means to give and not always receive. Alyona had been saving kopecks (like pennies) that she we found; and she was up to almost ten grivna, or about $1.25 in American money. As we walked around she would give a little to the handicapped people or elderly at the churches. As we were leaving she had figured out much she had and how many kids were in her class, then she gave everyone the same amount. It was hard to say good bye as I was already falling for them.

After all that, we stopped by the girls’ uncle’s house, in a small village outside of Odessa. I will tell you what I have seen in Mexico on mission trips didn't really prepare me for what I saw there. Previously I had often resented that the uncle hadn't come to get the girls out of the orphanage. Well, he has five children of his own children, from twelve years on down to one month. He possibly could have gotten them before he had all his own kids, but clearly it is not now his place to raise these girls.

They had made dinner for us. When we sat down to eat, Oles and I sat on the bed; and Grandma and Alyona sat on stools; and everyone else stood. There was not room for any more chairs. None of them ate as they wanted to make sure we had enough to eat. They had so little, yet gave so much. We had taken some gifts for the kids; and you would think they had never previously received any toys, but then, as I looked around, I realized I did not see a single one. The last time we saw the uncle we had bought them a DVD player. They were so proud of it, they had to show us. It sits on top of the THIRTEEN inch black & white TV, which sits on top of the refrigerator. They do not have indoor plumbing; and they cook outside. I think they only have two outlets in the entire house. I so wish I had more money. I would leave them with a significant love donation, but one of the concerns is the uncle’s problem with alcohol. He is now essentially unable to work because of it. So there they sit. It is a real curse on the people here; and until they learn about the love of JESUS, it will never be broken.

As we were headed back to Balta this morning for the last time, all I could do is repeatedly thank God for all He has done for us. Just nine months ago, on July 24, 2009, He started a new work in Tim & I; and now after many trials & struggles, and numerous literal miracles, this phase is almost “completed”.

As we pulled into the orphanage this morning, so we could sign all of the paperwork for Alyona, it occurred to me that she is no longer an orphan. Believe it or not, I have a sadness in my heart, which seems so crazy as this should be a happy day, and it is. My sadness, though, is for the children who came running up to the car as we pulled in. I have only met Alyona’s class a single time, but have quickly become friends with them. As we climbed out of the car and walked into the building, there were lots of hugs and kisses, and lots of kids talking to me, of which I understood very little. But I did comprehend the, “Pleeeeasse take me to America. You be my mama.” WOW! I can say I did not expect that. I stood there not knowing what to say to all the sad little faces looking up at me, each so desperately wanting a family; and me knowing it was not to be at the moment. And for some it will never be. I did tell them in what little English/Russian Alyona & I could come up with that we would go home and do everything we could to find these cute faces a “forever mama & papa”. They seemed to understand. And through it all, they were still all very excited for Alyona, that she was going to America.

While there, I met a young man whose name is Andrei. He is sixteen years old; and he knows nobody will ever come for him. He will be leaving the orphanage in less than a month. When I asked him what he would do, he said, “Go live on the street,” as he has no family to go to. He was left at the orphanage when he was very small. He speaks rather decent English, which was nice to know. Maybe it will help him someday. I tried to tell him that God has a plan for him. His response was, “What God? I live next to a church that I am not allowed to walk onto their grounds, as I will get yelled at, or worse, they will call the police on me. If there was a God he would have sent someone for me. Maybe he does not like me. I might have been bad, or my mama was.” There was no convincing him otherwise. Maybe if I spoke a little Russian, but I don't; and Oles was out doing what he had to do so we could keep our process moving so that we could go pick up Kristina tomorrow. As we pulled away I looked up to the window; and Andrei was standing there with his hand on the window. Then, a small smile came to his face; and we turned the corner. I probably will never see him again. As I type this, I am sitting here crying as I have known for years we were to adopt. What if I had listened to God years ago? And what if we had come here? And what if Andrei was meant to be our child? WHAT IF? I will think about these words forever. I know that because every time I look at Kristina or Alyona I will think of Andrei.

So, my challenge to you is this: if you are called to adopt, PLEASE don't wait indefinitely, as I did. We are not promised tomorrow, nor are these kids. What if something happened to Andrei and he dies? Not that I want something like that, or even think that, but WHAT IF? What if you or I don't follow through as we should and he never learns of the love and saving grace of Jesus? WHAT IF he doesn't end up in heaven and when it is your time and God meets you at the gates and says to you, “WHAT IF you had obeyed all my commandments: like be the father (or mother) to the orphans? He would be here with you.” WHAT IF? Please, take the first step, even if it is a small one. Call someone today to get started, because WHAT IF we put it off?

The rest of today was quite crazy. The court decree was not ready when we got there, so we waited, and waited. The call finally came, “Come to the office. It is time to sign Alyona out.” I have waited so long for that moment. I almost forgot how to spell my name! But it did come to me. Then, off we went, again. Oles had a plan; and he was determined to carry it out. Even though the car ride back to Odessa was long, Oles always makes things fun. We got back in time to pick up the original birth certificates so we could then go get the new ones. The new ones which indicate Timothy John and Lynn Michelle Loecher are now the exceedingly proud parents of Kristina Lee and Alyona Karen Loecher. Yeah!!

Lynn

2 comments:

  1. wow! Makes you want to adopt an older child. There are so many just like that boy. Leaving their only home at 16 and no where to go. I don't know how you left there without him. It must have been so hard to leave without all of those kids. You are an amazing strong women of God. I hope one day, when our kids are old...we too can go back to Russia and adopt an older child. To give life and love to a child that would never know what it means to be loved. Boy, we sure have it good. Thanks for the reminder of how good our lives are, because of knowing Christ. :-) Stay safe and I'll be continuing to pray for the remainder of your journey.

    Carala from Canada

    ReplyDelete
  2. just saw your post on my blog- yes please :) I would love to know more
    Never did we think we'd be on this road, adopting an 8 year old at 28 years old, but I am so glad He led us to this journey!

    ReplyDelete