Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Deuteronomy 15:10-11 -- Give generously to the poor, not grudgingly, for the Lord your God will bless you in everything you do. There will always be some in the land who are poor. That is why I am commanding you to share freely with the poor.

Sorry I was longer in getting this post done than I had intended.

We have seen some very poor areas in the last couple of days; and I so wish I could do more to help them, but as of now all I can do is pray and ask for you to pray also. We will get some pictures out soon.

Sunday we went with Oles to downtown area; and he showed us all around. He was very cute. He said that sometimes it is a good thing to not have a car as then you walk around and see things you would not normally have noticed by car. With us he getting to see some of the beauty God has made for us. We just walked all around Odessa, then went to have lunch and meet up with a friend. From there we went to church with them. It was nice to be able to worship with other believers. We came back to the flat and relaxed that evening in preparation for a big day, Monday.

We got up early Monday morning, as Oles was to be here to pick us up at 6:00am. I’m not so sure the chickens were even up yet! I think we may have awakened them! Well, off we head to Balta. I was very nervous. I am not sure why. Everyone told me it would be a somewhat easy day. The people at the Inspector’s office and at the Orphanage were very nice, but I think it was just “the unknown” of it all. We got to Balta and the day quickly became one that I may never forget. You know how you think in your mind how things should go, but you are soooo wrong? It was that kind of day. The Notary's office was closed, so we headed over to the Inspector’s office. When we walked into their office they immediately informed us they were short of time that day because they had to leave at 11:00am for the Balta Freedom Day Parade. (Side note: Monday was the anniversary of the liberation of Balta during WW II.) They said they would start on our paperwork, but then they would have to leave. They asked us a few questions about why we wanted to adopt; and we answered them to the best of our ability. Then, they started the paperwork. About that time they said they needed to go to the parade. Oles was not feeling well, and he said he needed to go have some copies made, so he told us to go with them to the parade. Well I will tell you, what came next was so great. We got down to the parade and the next thing we know we are actually in the parade. We thought we were going down to stand and watch the parade. Instead, the local government workers were to walk in the parade so they told us to walk with them. How cool is that? Well it might have been even more cool if I was in black like almost everyone else, but, no, I am wearing, you guessed it, the white jacket. It was like, “Look at me. I am an American.” WOW... The news people were there, so we were filmed by at least three different camera crews. We never did hear if we actually were on the local news. After the parade we went back to the office to finish up the paperwork. The next thing you know, one of the girls starts boiling water. No big deal, right? It was cold out; and they wanted to warm up. There are five workers in this tiny office. When they brought out seven cups, though, I knew we could possibly be in trouble. You see, when you arrive here in Ukraine everyone warns you to only drink bottled water. Well, the water the girl used did come from a bottle, but I am sure it was a bottle they had refilled as the water was yellowish in color. And for those of you who know me you know, I don't do coffee, at all. One of the lady's motioned for me to come over and make a cup of instant coffee. I put about a half of teaspoon of coffee to two teaspoons of sugar. Then, I prayed, “Please don't make us sick!” In the midst of this, one of the ladies had put on her coat and walked out. When she came back she brought in two bags of cookies and invited us eat them with them. As it is usually considered rude to turn things down when in a foreign country, we immediately accepted their offer. They actually turned out to be some of the best cookies I have ever had, anywhere. I drank the whole cup of coffee and had two cookies. And for the person who doesn't like coffee, it was good! Thank you, God, for getting me through that. We then finished up the paperwork and headed to the orphanage. I was so excited I couldn't stand it. We will get to see Alyona for the first time since we arrived here in Ukraine. Once at the orphanage, we sat and listened to Oles and the Director talk back and forth, not having a clue what was being said. Through that time, God showed me glimpse what the girls’ lives will be like after they come home. Finally, the big moment arrived; and she came in the room with a big smile on her face. It was clear she was happy to see us. The Director and the social worker asked her some questions, then released her to get a medical exam. We left to find another Notary, but they, too, are closed. We then went back to the orphanage to finish up some more paperwork. Alyona came back in the room and she has to write a letter saying she wants to come and be a part of our family and than we are off. To take the long ride back to our flat. It was so hard to leave her. I know it is for only a short while, but it is still so hard.

We didn't get back to Odessa until about 7:00pm that night, so a quick trip to the store, ate, called home for a few minutes, then off to bed we went. The next morning we got up at 5:00am to be ready when Oles and Sasha came to get us. A side note: Oles' car is broken down so we have a friend of his driving us around. I really could get used to be chauffeured! We got almost all the way to Kiliya when the Director called to say he had an emergency and would be gone until 3:00pm. That was okay, though, as we had to go the Inspector’s office and do that paperwork. Then we went to the park and had a picnic. It was such fun with our new friends. We laughed and laughed. At a few minutes before 3:00pm we stopped by the Inspector’s office to pick up the social worker, then we headed out to the orphanage to meet Kristina for the first time. We got there and Oles and the Director talked for a few minutes; and the Director asked us a few questions. He wanted to know why we want to adopt Kristina. I guess he liked our answer because a few minutes later a beautiful young lady walked through the door. She was somewhat shy. She went over to the Director and answered his questions; and then she came over to sit with us. We had brought her a gift; and she loved it. We sat and hugged each other, then they allowed us to go outside with her. She was very proud to show off her new mama and papa. We were just as proud of our new daughter. I wish our sons were here to get to experience this with us. You could see that all of her friends were happy for her, also, but you know in the deep corners of their hearts they were asking, “Why not me? Why has no one come for me? Am I not good enough?” We learned today that in the time that specific orphanage has been open they have only had TWO children adopted. People come looking for perfect kids, and some of these kids so have learning problems, but with work they can get through it. I just wish I could take them all home with me. I can't, though, and that is what is so hard. So all I can do is pray for them.

Finally, we had to leave to come back to Odessa as it is a 3 1/2 hour drive. I thought the roads going to Balta were bad. They were good compared to the roads to Kiliya. We will go back to see her on Friday, then Sunday, and Tuesday. I can't wait. We are hoping to do some fun things with as many kids as would like to on Sunday as it is Easter. It should be fun.

Today will be spent doing more paperwork, then lunch with some friends from the states, and who knows what else. I am looking forward to see what God has for us.

Lynn

3 comments:

  1. I am SO glad you have gotten to see both of your girls :) The roads sound terrible, we complain here about the potholes, but I know we dont have anything compared to Ukraine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How I hope someone got a photo of you all as featured guests in that parade!! You need it for Alyona's life book!! That is priceless!!

    Thanks for sharing the details of this wonderful journey, we are praying for you every step of the way!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tim and Lynn,

    We had our SDA appointment the same day you did, although we are adopting in the kyiv region. When you get back to the kyiv region, whey don't you contact us. You can reach us at aahaak (at)juno.com. We can then call you. It would be nice to get together. You can find our information at haakfamily.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete