Sunday, July 12, 2009

I Can't Tell You Why

Let me start by saying that we never went looking for kids to adopt. It probably was the farthest thing from our minds. With Christopher moving out, back in May, and Justin leaving in August, we were going to finally be alone. Every parent dream, an empty nest! It took a long time to come. At times I have had a hard time with it, but not to the point of adopting. I mean, grandkids should be coming in our future. Someday, right? I hope?!?! Boys, if you read this, I would like some! It was nice to be able to come and go when we wanted to. To eat when and what we wanted. No, 'I don't like that', or 'Could you please make me this', or 'You know I don't eat that'. Then, all the dishes! I think they think I am a housekeeper! [ :-) ] Well, I may be a housekeeper, but to those who pay me for my services, which the boys do not.

Anyway, when Tim left that Sunday morning for church little did I know what a life changing experience it would become. He came home with a prayer card which had two photos on it. We have prayed in the past for two children like these. One of them had been adopted and now lives in Cuba, AL. The second had "aged out" of the orphanage there in Odessa, Ukraine, and was later found living on the streets. I also know we have lots of sad stories right here on the streets of America. As a matter of fact, my very best friend in all of the world is over in Ukraine, right now; and she and her husband just received their court decree last Friday. When she first came and told me what she wanted to do, I thought the same thing some of you are thinking right now, "She was nuts!!!"

I don't know why God has chosen now, or why He has chosen us, but He HAS. He has called all of us "to go". For some it may be across the street. Others, down the street, into the worst areas. And others, to Ukraine. The point is when He calls you, you need to be willing to do what He asks of you. Let's face it, He gave a lot for us. I could never do what He did. Never in a million years would I allow my child to die for anyone, yet He allowed His ONLY Son to die for all of us. It is up to each of us to do with that as we choose. I know what I must personally do.

Back in 2001, when God showed us the house we now live in, we looked at it on a Sunday afternoon, after several people at church all asked the same morning if we had ever looked at it. You see, it had been on the market for EIGHTEEN months after our former youth pastor was called to another church. So, we drove by that afternoon. I called the owner the next morning to ask if he would be willing to do a "lease to own" as we needed time time fix up and sell our house in Forest. He said he would, so we came back on Wednesday evening to look again. We moved in the following Saturday; and just one weekend later we hosted our first youth event here. I guess you could say we christened the house.

As a side note, I believe this house was meant to have kids in it. Until now we have had two. The people before us had four, two older boys and two younger girls. The people before them, the same thing. Oh, also the couple before them. I just found that out today! They were the first owners. So when our girls get here, every family that has lived here will have had two older boys and two younger girls. Do you think God wanted us to have these girls, or what?

Sorry for digressing. Anyway, back to the empty nest issue. We were getting the yard the way WE wanted it, the house remodeled the WE wanted it, decorated the way WE wanted. We intended to travel when and where WE wanted. Do you see the theme here? It had become all about what WE wanted. We were not even really seeking what HE wanted. It is so funny to me how one little letter can change so much. You see, in 2001 when we moved we told God, we would use our home to bring Glory to His kingdom. Then, at some point we start to turn that glory to us; and He has had to remind us HE can take it away from us as fast as HE gave it to us, or even faster if He desires.

There are times in life when we are in the valleys and we don't know why. It may take some serious evaluation of the places, things, people we are with. Are they dragging us down, or are they lifting us up? I want to soar on eagles' wings. When I get to heaven, I want Jesus to look at me and say, "Thank you for taking the time to love the orphans and the widows." Why Ukraine? I still have no idea! Maybe it is to raise these girls up to know GOD'S love and to send them back to tell of GOD'S love to a lost and dying country. I don't know. I do know they will learn that they were chosen by God for us to love them and teach them. They will grow up participating in short term mission projects and learn to love on people. Will it be easy? Absolutely not. Will there be bad days? Absolutely, yes. Will we have a hard time at first? Again, yes. Will we laugh about it later? Assuredly, yes!! But it will be the time of our lives to see our girls' faces when we tell them we have come to take them home to be a "forever family".


To conclude, the only thing I can say is, "GOD SAID SO, SO WE NEED TO DO IT, AND THAT'S FINAL." All that is left is for us to sit back and wait for God to make the miracles happen. I hope you enjoy this ride along with us on the God roller coaster of life!!

Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment